<VV> What's squeaking?

Tom Suter tsuter at eisc.org
Thu May 25 09:08:41 EDT 2006

Put a bit of lubrication at any location where the emergency brake cable
(the armored one that connects to the brake backing plate) touches any
other surface.  I've had exactly the same maddening sound in the past, and
a little dab of grease cured it.  The tiny squeak occurs as the suspension
and drivetrain move even the least bit.  As I remember, the contact
point(s) won't be obvious with the car jacked up, but I do remember the
likely spot is where the cable lies on top of another piece.

Others are right about wheel covers (particularly wire wheel covers) and
even the wheels themselves making sounds.  Each have their characteristic
noises, but I'm sure the cricket chirp you are hearing is from the brake
cable.

Tom Suter
=================================

|---------+-------------------------------->
|         |           <mhicks130 at cox.net>  |
|         |           Sent by:             |
|         |           virtualvairs-bounces@|
|         |           corvair.org          |
|         |                                |
|         |                                |
|         |           05/24/2006 11:44 PM  |
|         |                                |
|---------+-------------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                           |
  |       To:       virtualvairs at corvair.org                                                                  |
  |       cc:                                                                                                 |
  |       Subject:  <VV> What's squeaking?                                                                    |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

My '65 has developed a "squeak" in the right rear.  At first I thought it
was rotational and suspected the brake or bearing or even the heater hose
rubbing on the drive shaft.  Well I did thourough fault isolating today.  I
jacked the car up and put it in gear and got no squeaking.  I then pulled
the wheel and drum - no squeaking.  I then took the drive shaft off - no
squeaking. I had my wife sit in the car while I looked under it and there's
plenty of clearance for the heater hose.  I put it all back together and
took a test drive - no squeaking, until I had almost returned home
(approximately 5 mile round trip) and I heard squeaking.  My wife was in
the front yard and she heard it and said it sounds like a "squeaky mattress
spring" sound.  I had assumed it was rotational but I now think it is up
and down related.  So who's the likely culprit?  I know it's hard to
diagnose such things over the internets but I thought I'd try anyway.

mike

the property
mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
http://www.corvair.org/