<VV> alignment woes

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Thu May 25 21:32:55 EDT 2006

Yes, you need a real alignment guy!

The alignmne tis supposed to be done with the wheels loaded, not hanging
in the air. There are turntables that the wheels sit on to allow the
wheels to move and be adjusted while the weight is on them. You cannot
align an unloaded wheel and expect a good result.

This reminds me of the time a Firestone store aligned a late model for
me. The Tech(?) said the caster was off but he could not find the
adjustment for it. I looked at the crt screen of the nice pretty
electronic alignment machine and there was a picture of the bottom of a
Corvair with an arrow pointing to the radius rod nuts to adjust the
caster! I pointed this out to him and he said he couldn't find that part
on the car!

Found new alignment shop pronto.

If you find a guy with turntables, a tram gage and a bubble level, he
should be old enough to know Corvairs! No fancy electronics needed if
the tech knows his stuff.

Frank DuVal

PS toe-in on a late rear is by loosening the bolts at the front of the
trailing arms and moving the front of the trailing arm side to side.