<VV> Selecting an oil

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Sat May 27 19:18:30 EDT 2006

Here's some history for you.  Short version is that Mobil 1 and Amsoil
both used a synthetic base and in the early 90's Castrol figured out a
cheaper way to make a semisynthetic base that ended up with a similar
performing oil. Mobile sued to keep them from calling it "fully
synthetic", lost, then changed their own formula to the cheaper base. Or
at least _some_ of their oils... it's kind of unclear.

http://www.technilube.com/sections/comps/synth_diff.htm
http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/Mobil1.htm

The good news  is that ANY of these oils (whether you consider them
"fully synthetic" or not) are just fine for your Corvair and will FAR
outperform any nonsynthetic oil. Most folks agree that Amsoil is the
best; the question is whether it's worth the additional cost.

I change my oil every 5000 miles (or more usually twice a year) and for
the last few years I've been very happily running Castrol Syntec 5W-50.
Amsoil in the transaxle though.

Bill