<VV> Taking the turbo for a spin...

Dennis & Debbie PLEAU ddpleau at msn.com
Sat May 27 19:18:43 EDT 2006

I also tossed a belt today!  I was on my way back from NAPA with a new oil pressure switch and a dimmer switch I was about 13 mile from home when it came off.  I didn't have a belt or any tools with me, but I had got a belt earlier in the week and it was in the garage.  I called Debbie on the cell phone and she brought me the belt and my traveling tool box.  It was a quick repair.  At first I just loosened the idler until it moved forward and I couldn't get the new belt on.  The belt came from a Corvair vendor so I was sure it shoud fit.  I then loosened the idler up some more and it moved a little more forward and I got the belt on.

The funny thing was I was going to change the belt today as it is probably more than 20 years old.  I was planning a generator to alternator conversion and noticed the oil pressure switch was weeping and ran into NAPA to get the switch before I started.  I did complete the conversion following Bob Helt's directions in the Tech Guide.  I also rewired the rear turn/brake lights and the running light through relays and they are much brighter.  At first I was going to add the relays to drive the lights on the pop-up trailer we are taking on our vacation and then I decided to drive both the trailer and the rear lights on the van.

Tomorrow the Pertronics and the Flame thrower coil (between races) and Monday the dual master cylinder conversion.  After that it's repack the front and rear wheel bearings and we're ready for our tour of the North East on our way to Buffalo.