<VV> 64 Starter Short/Fried Brake Cable

Doug Foust doufou at msn.com
Sat May 27 21:06:33 EDT 2006

Help.  Starter appeared to be bad (just clicked) so I just put in Clarks
rebuilt w/ solenoid.  By what I thought was coincidence, the emergency brake
cable broke right where it passes out of the tunnel at the rear.  Turns out
it was melted.

I know this because I installed the new brake cable at same time, tried
starter once before reattaching bottom tunnel and toe tunnel.  Seemed fine.
At next try, starter would not stop, even with key turned to off.  I
disconnected battery quickly to stop it.  Cable clearly arced and fried in
two again, same place.  It was not touching the hole where it passes as near
as I can tell.

If I reattach battery, still key in Off position, starter engages again.
Anybody ever seen this?  Ignition switch?  Where should I look for short and
how do I trace it?  I'm bummed - wanted to enjoy the long weekend with the
top down...

Doug Foust
64 110 PG vert