<VV> What's squeaking?

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Sun May 28 17:21:57 EDT 2006

Well I hate to dissapoint those of you betting on the wheel cover as the squeak cause but I went for a lovely investigative drive this morning without the wheel covers (how embarassing) and the squeak is still there.  It's intermittant though.  I drove for a long time with no squeak and then when I was slowly cruising through Yorktown, I could hear a faint squeaking.  I then went to an empty lot to run circles to see if it was directional to try and implicate the bearings.  Well wouldn't you know it, no squeak - until I had almost left the parking lot and then it came back.  "squeak, squeak, squeak".  Not loud but noticable.  I'm still betting brakes (shoes are tight to the drum) or maybe the bearings (but no typical roaring noise ever).  I'm done diagnosing for now, I'll just let it go until it becomes obvious what it is.  I may replace the u-joints at some point just to eliminate them from consideration because they're cheap and easy but I really don't think it's them.  If I EVER figure it out, I'll let you guys know.

mike

Hey,
I remember 5-6 years ago, some guy with squeaking problem, at
last finally removing his $^%#@&*^* original wheel covers, after
one of the VVer Heroes dared him to remove them. Squeak no more,
in his case. Now I'm NOT saying that is the cure, but don't
dismiss this as not possible.

VistaEd