<VV> Stupid electrical question

norman.Witte at comcast.net norman.Witte at comcast.net
Sun May 28 18:02:30 EDT 2006

Hey, folks.  I have a dumb question that I hope I can get an answer to.  I am finally installing a SafeGuard in my '65 turbo convertible.  All of the connections are pretty straightforward except for one, the power connection.  Here's what the directions say:

"Powering the system:  Improper connection for the power wire is the single biggest reason for installation problems.  [gulp] The SafeGuard RED wire supplies power to the system.  It must be connected to 12 volts during cranking as well as with the key in the run position.  On a stock Corvair, the coil voltage is supplied through a resistance wire.  Because of this the coil DOES NOT receive 12 volts, so DO NOT use this as power feed for the SafeGuard.  You will need to locate a 12 volt supply that is 'live' when the ignition is in the 'on' position and off when the engine is off. If you have a volt meter, a suitable wire can be easily located.  If not, please consut a shop manual (you do have a shop manual, don't you?) to locat a suitable power wire."

So, I have a volt meter, but I can't use it to find a wire that's hot when the car is cranking and crank the car at the same time.  I have a shop manual, but there's no part in it that says, "Connect SafeGuard here"; there's just a reaaaaaally complicated schematic that I have to confess has me baffled.

My car has a stock engine compartment harness.  Can anyone tell me which wire I should tap?  In a way that a moron like me could actually find it?

And, since I'm asking dumb questions, can a power my electric choke from the same source?

Please reply to this addess as well as VV since I can't check my work email (where VV goes) until Tuesday.  And spare me the cracks about reading VV at work; I don't get paid for reading VV because it's not billable.  At least, I haven't found a way to bill it.  Yet.

Thanks,

Norm Witte