<VV> Selecting an oil

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon May 29 13:49:47 EDT 2006

At 10:58 hours 05/28/2006, TimogensTurbo at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 5/28/06 9:32:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tonyu at roava.net
>writes:
>

> > should have stayed with it to begin with and not even tried the Castrol.
>
>Interesting!  Castrols' big claim to fame was that it DID  have a LOT  of
>anti-foaming  additive!   Always worked well in Sand Buggies...but
>we used 50 wt
>straight...never a multi in a forged piston engine..

Now:

My disdain with Castrol did *not* extend to their "genuine" race oils
which were straight-weight, usually 50 or 60 wt.   That stuff was
tough and never offered up any problems and was oft times the oil of
choice for 1200 hp Pro-Stock hemi dragrace engines.    It was however
not a street type oil...  ;)

I ran some of the 50 wt in the "street" 426 in my Plymouth and it did
OK once it was warm...  but when cold the engine would crank up over
100 lbs of oil pressure which was often enough to blow the filter off
the engine if you buzzed it up enough before the oil was warmed, and
you were using a stock type oil pump pressure relief valve (which I
was).     I fondly recall having this happen when I ran a straight 50
wt oil once...  as did a buddy who had a car just like mine... and a
'64 Max-wedge Superstocker at the Bristol Spring Nats which proceeded
to empty the pan's contents of racing oil onto the starting line when
it blew off an oil filter at the line while heating the tires, made a
puddle 8 feet across by the time it spread out.    Everyone took a
break while the track crew raked kitty litter...

This sort of thing brings to mind the actual requirements of an
engine oil for a small lightweight (reciprocating mass) engine like
the Corvair boxer which doesn't actually load its bottom end the way
larger V engines do.    Maybe this is why it can get away with less
than 40 lbs of oil pressure to stay together when that 426 race
engine needs almost 100...  although it's also making a four-figure
hp number and turning 9000 rpm.    One can only imagine the forces on
the bottom end of that engine, trying to shove the crankshaft down
through the bottom of the pan.

Comes the Corvair engine, with its relatively small rod journals and
narrow bearings.   It's another sort of loading
altogether.    There's not as much actual friction on the rod
bearings as in that larger race V8, which will really heat up the oil
quick under load... but still the Vair engine is working at a
disadvantage in that it's gonna keep its engine oil hotter as a mass
than that race V8.

I'm surprised that a lot of the Vair engines Back When, those pushed
close to limits and likewise run hard, managed to survive to current
day, what with oil then being somewhat less substantial than it is
today.    If nothing else, it's a testimony to the design of the Vair
engine.

tony..