<VV> Selecting an oil - (No Corviar)

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Mon May 29 21:22:36 EDT 2006

Actually, that's EXACTLY where the name came from. Back when
petroleum-based oils were in their infancy, Castrol developed a
castor-oil based product that provided superior protection. The prewar
MG's (and the early postwar MG's that were brought to America) ran on
the stuff. When you hear folks talking about the "smell" of sports car
racing, that's what they are talking about. It's _extremely_ similar to
the stuff Momma made you take...

Some of the "hardcore" vintage racers (including the motorcycle guys)
still use it... but others just add a little bit to the petrol tank for
the characteristic smell. Lots of two stroke folks use it as well... but
the difficulty in getting parts for a 50-year old two stroke engine
means that I run synthetic there as well!

 I also found it was just about perfect to "stiffen up" Armstrong lever
shocks.  Still available as "Castrol R" in motorcycle shops.

(I also understand that in WWII (possibly WWI as well), many of the RAF
planes used this... some early ones with external lubrication... leading
to undesirable effects on the pilots in the open cockpits. I further
understand that a diet including lots of cheese was somewhat of an antidote)

Bill Elliott