<VV> cramshafts

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Mon May 29 23:10:25 EDT 2006

I don't quite know how to put this... Lotta folks throwing out some big words
and thoughts today.  Most seem to miss the point that the initial camshaft
moments are pretty traumatic and IMHO, this trauma is worse with a brand-new
cam.  I've always thought of a new cam as "soft", perhaps a better word would be
"rough". Once a camshaft is "smoothed" during the break-in, the trauma seems
to be over.  If the trauma of this smoothing process is to great, the thin,
hardned surface is scraped away and the softer core is exposed. Cam failure has
occured and will eventually lead to a flat lobe.  Of course, a poorly heat
treated cam will fail no matter what.

At the other end of a camshaft's life, microscopic dirt in the oil, an oil
film failure, or a lifter failure, causes the camshaft's hardened surface to be
worn away and again a flat lobe is the result.

I see no problem putting new lifters over a GOOD used cam.  Putting used
lifters on a new cam is a no-no since the convex bottom surface of the lifter has
frequently lost it's convex shape and will damage a new cam in short order.

Shields Up, Mr Sulu!
Craig Nicol