<VV> 2 questions

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Tue May 30 02:11:34 EDT 2006

Hi Jim,
Please see below.
Regards,
Bob Helt

In a message dated 5/29/06 7:33:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time, BEC176 at msn.com
writes:

> I have lots of spare studs (new), but as I have moved them from one spot to
> another and I have mixed them all up....I had them in 4 different size
> ranges.  Anybody know what the stock size is?  Time to break out my PeeDee wires
> and measure what I have.

I don't understand the 4 size ranges you state. There were two different
lengths which should be obvious. Otherwise there were three (as I remember)
different threads. Each of these threads had to do with preventing oil from seeping
past the studs. These oversizes are not visually checked. What you will have
to do is carefully try to install the studs and obtain a torque of 10 to 30
ft-lbs. If you start to exceed that, back the stud out immediately. Otherwise it
may get stuck and require heat or hole damage to extract.

> Question #2,  Is the late model Bell housing the one with the 50 cent piece
> size boss or is it the early?

It's the early bell housing that has the 50 cent size boss.