<VV> Tuning up

Ryan Verthein daretocorvair at yahoo.com
Wed May 31 12:17:55 EDT 2006

So I was out making the engine run well
today...disconnected the VA and the throttle rod and
re-hooked on the spring...got the idle to where I want
it (feels weird not to set it to what the tach is
saying...since this is a Monza!)

Before I got there, I was trying to figure out why on
earth the thing would NOT idle...hell, wouldn't even
start most of the time...sounded to me like it was
dieseling REALLY bad...couldn't for the life of me
figure out why....thought maybe it was the timing or
too much gas or something...

Finally, after about half an hour of trying to figure
it out, I realized, three of the spark plug cables
were on the cap wrong!

Got them back on, fixed the timing, and she purrs like
a kitten (with an old straight pipe...not as loud as
the cherry bomb I had on the coupe though, which is
nice.)

it was nice to get the right plugs in, and carbs that
don't uh suck?  haha

the right banks choke rod is broken off in the piece
though...I need to get the old one out
somehow...warming up isn't always fun with one carb
that doesn't choke out during warm-up...

Should be good to go now. I've got the timing retarded
to about 10 or so derees right now.  seems to run well
there...we will see when I start driving it how that
ends up...but I do have some octane improver in the 91
I have in the tank too, so that should be extra
caution for me to ork with.

ah, to be back on the road again....almost...gotta get
new tabs today.  Oh, and insurance, of course!

73 degrees, sunshine, and 35% humidity.  a BEAUTIFUL
day to be vairing!

Ryan V.

1965 Corsa Coupe (group red, and not coming out any time soon)
1965 Monza Sedan (my new Daily Driver)
Corvairs are..."164 ci of Flat Six Fury" (Lates rule)