<VV> Greenbrier Questions

Vairtec at optonline.net Vairtec at optonline.net
Wed May 31 22:05:20 EDT 2006

Steve, as others have indicated, rust is the key issue just as it is with
all other Corvairs.

Generally speaking, the places to look are (in order of obviousness):

 > The front "rocker panels" and front floor area.  Lift the mat.

 > The bottoms of the rear fenders aft of the rear wheels.

 > The bottoms of the side doors.

 > The lower hinge area of the rearmost side door.

 > The three other corners that correspond to the lower hinge area of the
rearmost side door, i.e., the corresponding location on the other side of
the vehicle, the lower hinge area at the middle side door, and the area
immediately aft of the left-front wheelhouse.

 > The point where the center floor meets the rear seat riser or step-up to
the engine cover.

 > The outriggers on the chassis frame rails along the sides of the van,
and these main frame rails themselves.  We have a Rampside at the shop now
which looks great but which is in serious need of chassis reconstruction.

 > All other locations not yet mentioned.

There exist virtually no parts for repairing any of this, yet all of it is
repairable by even a moderately-skilled owner, such as me.  You have to
decide for yourself on any given van whether the rust repair required is
too great to tackle.  The frame rail stuff, such as on the Rampside I
mentioned, is beyond my capability but that's why I hang out with people
who are better at things than me.

Greenbriers are great fun and astoundingly functional.  Happy hunting!

--Bob

Robert W. Marlow
Vairtec at optonline.net