<VV> Marketing vs. Engineering

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Wed Nov 1 21:14:40 EST 2006

All production car design is compromise. Power, economy, handling,
braking, materials, cost, etc... You move too far in one direction you
lose buyers at the other... that's why I've never been a purist... you
can keep the basic design of a car but push some of those compromises in
directions that change the balance... think about what Yenko did with
the Stinger... no substantial changes to the basic design... just small
tweaks that changed the nature of the car. If Yenko could do that much
given a compromised base to work with, just think what GM could have
done had they set out to build a sports car...

Uncompromised cars are few... and the ones that are street legal still
have compromises due to safety regs... Lotus Elsie, Ariel Atom, etc...

Bill