<VV> Re: steel rings

DJTCZ at comcast.net DJTCZ at comcast.net
Sun Nov 5 13:34:20 EST 2006

Steel piston rings are pretty rare. A swedish (?) company Deves makes some that can hold up well (Volvo used them in engines that are notorious for lasting 300 kmiles).
Stainless steel compression rings are only suitable for particular types of racing.

References to "chrome moly" rings are almost certainly confused about what the "moly" is in molybdenum faced rings.

If you are looking at plain iron rings, I would not bother.  Modern Moly faced (top) rings do everything better, and last longer too.  Good cylinder finish and excellent cylinder cleaning prep make break-in concerns pretty non-existent.  Some folks are scared of seating chrome rings, but a non-wimpy break-in using very a dozen or 2 short bursts of heavy throttle while driving soon after start up is kind, gentle, and effective.

I often check piston-to-valve clearance, spring retainer-to-seal clearance, coil bind clearance, and actual cam-timing events (degreeing the cam).  All can be checked with a minimal trial assembly and less than $50 worth of tools.  Details of the procedures are all over the internet for those who wish to learn how.

--
Dan Timberlake