<VV> Power Brakes for Corvair

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 8 10:24:18 EST 2006

                                   B"H

Guys, in my test drive yesterday I found the brakes
somewhat difficult to modulate.  I'll get used to them
pretty quickly, but my wife won't.  She'll be very
upset when she finds out that the car has manual
drums, as good as they are, they do take some
practice.  She's used to the powerful 4-wheel discs on
our Odyssey, and the Prius has a regerative braking
system that only requires a slight touch to the pedal.

Rather than go through the expense and time of
converting to disc brakes in front, does anyone know
of a power brake conversion that would work with the
existing drums?  So all I'd have to to is remove (or
replace) the master cylinder with an power unit.
Since the brake components are based on bigger Chevys
anyway, I'm wondering whether this is an easy job.
Corvair Underground does sell a power brake kit, but
they say it's "not really needed" and that kit has no
provisions or instructions for hooking up to a vacuum
source, or adatping to the existing brake lines.
However, knowing my family, it's "needed."

Any advice would be appreciated.  If this won't work,
then I've seen disc brake kits for both 13" and 14"
wheels.  If I did buy the 13" wheel kit, would I have
to change my wheels to clear the calipers?

Thanks again for you advice guys!...Bill H.