<VV> The Latest Tire Survey

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Wed Nov 8 10:36:34 EST 2006

In general I have been disappointed with the traction provided by
Cooper, Dayton, Hercules, Winston, and Lee. By the same measure I've
found Kumho and Toyo to be very nice tires for the money... often
cheaper than the brands listed above yet comparable in performance to
much more expensive tires.

In general I'm a big Kumho fan anyway, having run them on my Minis (795)
, Cadillac Allante (MX... my favorite performance tire), and BMW M3
(performance snows)... I think this manufacturer offers by far the best
value in tires today; I've yet to drive one that I didn't like (even
without considering the rock-bottom prices).

However, except for one specific model you list, I can't offer anything
more than those generalizations.

I have recently purchased two sets of the Kumho 795 (one set for a 60's
Mercedes and one for a '97 CR-V) and could not be happier with the
results (or the price). Good traction wet and dry, quiet, smooth ride,
etc. If you're wondering how they look on a 60's car:

http://fnader.com/Mercedes

Bill Elliott
Urbana, MD