<VV> Power Brakes for Corvair

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Nov 8 19:54:51 EST 2006

The first order of business is to get the factory set up working
correctly. Something is wrong, very wrong, if you find them difficult to
modulate. The harder you step on them, the harder they apply. But light
pedal effort should get results.

The second order is to remember that GM like to sell accessories on
their cars. The more gee-haws they install, the more profit per car they
realize. Now if GM couldn't sell the public on needing power brakes on a
Corvair, then why would anyone  need them? They were available on
practically every other car model that GM produced on the 60's. It would
not have cost them very much to install (a power booster and a few feet
of pipe), with a great potential for profit.

The third order is that disc brakes without a power booster are MUCH
harder to apply than drum brakes, hence why most all cars with disc
brakes have a power booster. Even those German made Buick Opel  Kadetts
from the 60's. I have driven Mustangs, etc from the 60's with non-power
disc brakes, they need great pedal effort.

Fourth, why are you making this judgment call for your wife? I know they
can be known in some circles as "the weaker sex", but they have been
driving cars since the electric starter came out about 1910. Don't even
tell her the car has manual drum brakes. Just think of all the women
that have driven Corvairs (and still do) since the first '60 model was
sold. If they wanted power brakes, GM would have gladly sold them. See
second order of business above.

Get the brakes working properly and get her to drive.

Frank DuVal

I did have a customer that was in her late 80's and maybe weighed 90
pounds wet. She did lose muscle in her legs and have trouble stopping
her Greenbrier. She decided to sell it at that point in her life and
drive the '66 Rambler Ambassador with power brakes.