<VV> Power Brakes for Corvair

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 8 21:32:48 EST 2006

You guys are missing the whole point here.
Bill didn't ask if power brakes were better, or needed, or anything like
that.
He asked for help putting power brakes to make his wife happy.  Chances are
his wife is not a "car guy".  No amount of "Yeah, honey, I know you don't
feel safe driving with these brakes, but the car stops perfectly well - It's
all in your head." is likely to make her feel safe and happy.  Smart guys
are into keeping their wives feeling safe and happy - makes life much
easier.

This is not an engineering issue.  It's not about weak leg muscles.  It's
about the hindbrain not liking the way the brakes feel and screaming, "OH
S#!+  We're all gonna die!" every time she hits the brakes.

The idiot lawyer across the street and his live in have '70 Challenger R/T
(her dad's) with restored mechanicals and a basket case body.  It hurts me
to see this cool car sitting there in this condition.  I asked him why they
didn't finish the restoration.  He said, "Well, we'd never drive it.  The
brakes don't feel like a modern car and we feel like it's out of control all
the time."  I told him they'd get used to it, but he claims to have tried
and failed, so the car is going to rot to the ground.

I don't have any experience putting power brakes on a non power braked car,
so the only advice I can give Bill is, "Go for it.  How hard can it be?"

Roger

PS:  Anybody that says there's no advantage on the Corvair to going to disk
brakes has never run his Corvair through deep water and gotten the brakes
wet.  I have, and I'd gladly make the swap if I still drove it in those
conditions.