<VV> Power Brakes for Corvair

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Wed Nov 8 22:26:47 EST 2006

> You guys are missing the whole point here.
<snip>

> I don't have any experience putting power brakes on a non power braked car,
> so the only advice I can give Bill is, "Go for it.  How hard can it be?"
>
> Roger
>
> PS:  Anybody that says there's no advantage on the Corvair to going to disk
> brakes has never run his Corvair through deep water and gotten the brakes
> wet.  I have, and I'd gladly make the swap if I still drove it in those
> conditions.

Just because he only asked for help on installation doesn't mean our pointing out that the stock brakes are fine isn't helpful.  If not to him then maybe to someone else reading this who's considering doing this.  He doesn't have a lot of experience with Corvairs (he just took his first drive in one) so he might not know that properly set up, the Corvair brakes are great so he may be trying to fix a problem that doesn't actually exist.

Yeah wet drums take longer to dry out than wet disks but I haven't had a problem with it (yet!),  you just have to keep that in mind when it's wet out and touch the brakes from time to time to dry them off.  I still don't think it's worth the swap though.  Now if I was autocrossing a lot or lived in a mountainous area, I would do it.  And I have more than once wanted to change when working on the drums with all their bits and pieces that don't want to go back together.

mike