<VV> Tires - and wheels

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu Nov 9 10:23:54 EST 2006

In a message dated 11/9/2006 4:30:20 AM Pacific Standard Time,
corvair at fnader.com writes:

I just  ran Nelson Ledges this summer with a set of Kumho autocross
tires...  sticker than the BFG R-1's I previously had and much sticker
than the  (older generation) Yoko R's I had... stickiest R tire I've ever
driven.

The Kumho MX street tire is the stickiest street tire I've  driven as
well... the rubber felt almost like an R  tire....

Bill

The new Road and Track (I believe) has a tire comparison which  includes the
Kumho 710, just as a "bragging rights" note, in a comparison of  other real
streetable tires. The only way to pick out the fastest tire is  to go to where
it matters, the SCCA runoffs for track tires, the SCCA Solo II  Nationals for
Autocross tires. The only problem with the Solo II Nationals, at  least this
year, is that it was run on a "problematic" surface at Heartland Park  -
described in the C/P forums as "greasy". That was on race tires, of course. Of
course, none of the sticky tires are available in a 13" size for a street  Corvair.
(Okay, a few 205/60-13s are available - but they are pretty short for a
Corvair) We are lucky to find any taller 13 inch tires at all. At the Fan Belt
toss last month, A guy had a really nice set of 13 x 6 minilite clones to sell.
They were attractive until I tried to figure out what tires I would put on
them!  But someone bought them! Just for grins, however, later on, at
SEMA/AAPEX, I  found a manufacturer of a beautiful 13 x 7 aluminum minilite clone. I
gave him  my card and asked him to check on a 5 on 4.75 bolt pattern version. If
anything  comes of it, I will post it!
- Seth Emerson