<VV> Power Brakes for Corvair

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Thu Nov 9 10:31:50 EST 2006

I only said that going to disks is a good idea for racing or mountainous areas because MY anecdotal evidence says that I experienced fade with the drum brakes on our '66 4 door going down some steep mountain roads.  Now they cooled down quickly and worked again and I'm sure it could have been the shoes but I've never had brake fade in any disk brake equipped car I've owned.

I don't race (well, just that once at the convention) but I would assume that fade would be an issue there.   Maybe the "racey" kevlar pads solve this fade issue.  I don't have a fade issue with the cheap shoes here in table top flat south eastern Virginia and I can handle drying the brakes out when it's raining so good ol' drums are fine by me.

I'd still make sure my stock brakes were working properly before I went to the trouble and expense of converting to power or disks.