<VV> Disc brakes

Cepak, Tom A tom.a.cepak at lmco.com
Thu Nov 9 14:11:28 EST 2006

---------mhicks130 at cox.net wrote --------
I've heard that on top of being unnecessary, power brakes are tough to
install because there's no easy source of vacuum in the trunk.  And I
guess running line up to the trunk from the engine has too much loss.  I
could be wrong but that's what I remember hearing.
--------------------------

I know the drum brakes are more brakes than anyone needs for a Corvair,
but I really like the idea of disc brakes.  I like being able to change
pads and not having to do to any adjustments to get the car to stop
straight.  After continuously fiddling with my Corvairs drum brakes,
trying to get it to stop in a straight line at highway speeds (not
pulling to the left or right), I gave up.  Even though I was getting
close to having them set properly, I didn't feel comfortable with the
way the car stopped in the past (changing lanes when it wasn't my
intention). I never have any problems with stopping straight with our
other two vehicles with disc brakes.  I finally took it to someone
(Cliff at Oklahoma Corvair), and had him work on them.
The car stops fine now, but there is that comfort factor in the back of
my brain that will always worry if the brakes remained adjusted
properly.  I will eventually change to discs just for this reason.

Now, instead of running a vacuum line to the engine compartment and
trying to find a good vacuum source, why not just install an automotive
12v vacuum pump?  Go to http://www.metricmind.com/index1.htm and select
EV Vacuum Pump on the left index.  Many new cars are going with the
electric pumps instead of drawing vacuum off of the engine.  It would
seem the installation would be easier since you could install the pump
in the trunk close to the booster, and only have to provide a 12v
source.

Just my 2 cents,

Tom Cepak