<VV> Disc brakes

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Thu Nov 9 23:55:57 EST 2006

Even if you have front disc brakes, you have two drum brakes left.

When cars with 4 wheel drum brakes were new, stopping in a straight line
was not a serious problem. They mostly stopped in straight lines, or the
highway department would have had to build wider lanes!  So the object
is to keep the brakes in factory new condition. Until the last 5 years I
mostly drove 4 wheel drum brakes and always stopped in straight lines.
This includes the '70 Buick Estate Wagon with 4  manual (no power
booster) 12" drum brakes.

If you have a '60 to '62 Corvair then there is no self adjuster and the
GM recomended brake adjustment period back then was every 1000 miles. No
wonder self adjusters became so popular. It did take a while though, my
'50 Studebaker had self adjusting brakes as standard! Hill holder too,
but I digress.

If you have self adjusting brakes, then all the hardware must work
correctly and be installed correctly. I bet half of the drum brakes I
work on for the first time have shoes or star wheel assemblies mounted
in the wrong place. Also you need to back up and apply the brakes for
the self adjusters to work. A big Corvair issue in the last 15 years is
the rubber brake hoses becomming one way check valves. New hoses are
part of a brake overhaul for me. I find inactivity to be the biggest
detriment to proper braking action. Dot 3 fluid build up sediment in
wheel cylinders. Things stick and rust. This also happens with disc
brakes in the rust belt. Sliding calipers don't.

To get your comfort factor back, don't install disc brakes, just install
new drum brake parts, available from our vendors to get that new factory
performance. Drum brakes are not perfect, but they do work for 99% of
our driving experience. If the car is changing lanes, then parts are
bad, not the system engineering. Also, sometimes pull is caused by worn
suspension bushings, like the caster bushings (aka strut rod bushings), etc.

Don't be cheap on brakes parts, they are life saving parts.

Frank DuVal