<VV> Disc brakes

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri Nov 10 11:38:12 EST 2006

At 08:55 PM 11/9/2006, Frank DuVal wrote:
>Even if you have front disc brakes, you have two drum brakes left.
>
>When cars with 4 wheel drum brakes were new, stopping in a straight
>line was not a serious problem. They mostly stopped in straight
>lines, or the highway department would have had to build wider lanes!

Even my ratty-ass '60 4-door will stop straight as an arrow if I nail
the brakes.    If someone's car doesn't stop straight when braked
hard, they need to fix it.   Such activity exhibited by a Corvair
when braking hard is NOT natural and certainly not the fault of the
brake design.  Something's wrong... weepy wheel cylinder or something
like loose suspension bushings.

>If you have a '60 to '62 Corvair then there is no self adjuster and
>the GM recomended brake adjustment period back then was every 1000
>miles. No wonder self adjusters became so popular. It did take a
>while though, my '50 Studebaker had self adjusting brakes as
>standard! Hill holder too, but I digress.

The  brakes on my '60 need adjusting...  pedal goes halfway to the
floor these days.   I'll do it, sometime, maybe this weekend or if
not next weekend, or maybe next time I have it on a lift, or when
it's nice out and I feel like working...  although I don't know where
my  brake spoon is so I'd have to find that before I adjust the
brakes, so I'll wait until later I think...    ;)

>If you have self adjusting brakes, then all the hardware must work
>correctly and be installed correctly. I bet half of the drum brakes
>I work on for the first time have shoes or star wheel assemblies
>mounted in the wrong place.

Brake overhauls on drums with self-adjusters is evidently becoming a
lost art.   I keep seeing examples of this exact same thing, parts
installed backwards, both self-adjuster star wheels and shoes.

>A big Corvair issue in the last 15 years is the rubber brake hoses
>becomming one way check valves.

Absolutely.   Bizarre that I've not seen this sort of thing happen
before, even in older cars.   Twice I've seen examples of this sort
of thing with Vairs here along the way (both of them 1960 models), as
well as a couple or three times with other people's cars.    Mine
were PM'ed, arbitrarily replaced the hoses regardless of how good
they looked.    On my '60, the one that decided not to pass brake
fluid looked fine on the outside and had been replaced at least once
previously *by me* back when.

May be the more modern parts aren't as durable as the factory
stuff...?    Even so, it's still a good idea to keep brakes in decent
shape... as the saying goes, starting is optional but stopping is
mandatory.

tony..