<VV> ABS

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Thu Nov 9 17:26:18 EST 2006

>We have the anti-lock brakes on our 2000 Solara and I think that the
>anti-lock feature has only been in operation once in the last six years.  At
>that rate, it's a bit over rated.

It is true that a  good driver *expecting the stop* can out-brake ABS but
for someone who is startled they are great.

As to retrofitting, I suspect the hard part would be adding the wheel
sensors, individual lines are not hard. The other problem would be the
"brain". Since 1991 GM has made it part of the Engine (now Powertrain)
Control Module. Before 1991 it was a separate box.

Doubt that I will bother, tires are so good now that it is hard to lock
them up in the dry and I always buy tires that are excellent or better in
the rain for family cars.

Padgett