<VV> Re: ABS BRAKES AND SPYDER DASH

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Fri Nov 10 11:47:43 EST 2006

I think Tim and others have adequately discussed the limitations of
ABS... but agree that on the whole for the average driver in real world
situations, ABS is indeed well worth the cost/effort. I feel the same
about airbags... I've never had to use one but that doesn't mean I think
it was a waste of money...

I wanted to add what I found to be an interesting side aspect...
(assuming it's true... I've not been able to confirm). Most insurance
companies stopped giving ABS discounts because losses in ABS equipped
cars weren't lower than non-ABS cars.

They blamed this on two things:

The first is not surprising... armed with ABS brakes, many drivers drive
more aggressively, leaving less room for stopping. So while the brakes
might stop faster, the end result is similar.

The second reason was the more interesting (and less confirmed). I read
that ABS cars had slightly higher losses in "other than one car"
accidents... and the theory was that it was because the driver was able
to still steer under heavy braking... and tended to steer INTO stuff
(like other cars) than sliding out of control in the natural arc of
travel... I can see how that would be possible (and how two $30k cars
hitting each other might result in higher losses than one $30k car
hitting a tree), but I'm not sure the differences would be very noticeable.

I know that despite the dollar amount of damage in general I'd rather
hit a movable vice an unmovable object! ;-)

Bill Elliott