<VV> Re: ABS Retrofit - How about the nut behind the wheel?

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Fri Nov 10 11:16:47 EST 2006

For Those still interested in this thread:

For about the same time, effort and expense (probably much less) to
retrofit ABS to the Corvair, one could enroll in a performance or defensive
driving school.  With proper training, the tendency to panic when
confronted with a hazard can be replaced with confidence and appropriate
evasive maneuvers.  The training also helps drivers recognize poor habits
and dangerous situations so that hazards can be avoided in the first
place.  This would be beneficial no matter what car is driven.

BTW, a local research institute up here offers an annual "Winter Driving
School" for a very modest cost; $100 for a one day course.  For the last
several years GM has been a sponsor and has provided the vehicles.  The
students get to practice braking, skid control, etc, on ice and snow with
all current powertrain configurations: FWD, RWD, AWD. The cars are modified
with "off" switches for all of the traction control and ABS features and
training is done both with and without the features enabled.  For added
cost there are also multi-day winter performance driving courses...  Check
it out here:  http://www.mtukrc.org/school.htm

Dale Dewald
Upper Peninsula, Michigan