<VV> Re: ABS - no Corvair

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Fri Nov 10 12:00:14 EST 2006

In a message dated 11/10/2006 8:48:21 AM Pacific Standard Time,
corvair at fnader.com writes:

The  second reason was the more interesting (and less confirmed). I read
that  ABS cars had slightly higher losses in "other than one car"
accidents...  and the theory was that it was because the driver was able
to still steer  under heavy braking... and tended to steer INTO stuff
(like other cars)  than sliding out of control in the natural arc of
travel...

I think that is "Hogwash" - But I cannot confirm it one way or the other.
However, it is important to think of ABS brakes NOT as a braking device, but as
a steering device. I have driven a car in a comparison test with and without
ABS  on a controlled, slippery, surface. The difference will make you a
believer. The  correct action when confronted with the ultimate "Throw out the
Anchor"  situation, in an ABS equipped car or truck, is to push as hard as you can
on the  pedal, let the ABS do it's job, and try to steer away from the rapidly
 approaching solid object. - Seth