<VV> Re: ABS - no Corvair

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Fri Nov 10 12:25:19 EST 2006

After posting my initial email, I went to look to where I may have read
that. I _think_ what I may have read was a misinterpretation of this
study which no lower insurance losses

http://www.iihs.org/research/advisories/iihs_advisory_17.pdf

combined with this shocking study showed drivers of ABS cars to be more
likely to be killed than drivers of nonABS cars:

http://www.iihs.org/news/1996/iihs_news_121096.pdf

The results of this study were never really explained but subsequent
studies by the same group showed more expected data:

http://www.iihs.org/sr/pdfs/sr3504.pdf

Sorry for the promulgation of an apparent urban myth... and one
misstated at that. I fully agree with Seth that the ability to steer
under braking is paramount and a key advantage of ABS.

Bill