<VV> RE: Spyder gauge lenses, plastic or?

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 10 23:43:23 EST 2006

Hi JR,

I think it is a vicious cycle and is worse in humid environments.  If you
live in a humid area or have a leak and the interior is getting wet than it
will be worse.  What happens is that when water vapor hits a cold surface,
it condenses back into water droplets.  For some reason, the smaller gauges
are more susceptible.  Not sure what that has to do with the plastic lenses
but I've noticed it on them more often.  I'd think the metal back on the
gauge would be the place where condesation developed the most.  The lenses
on mine only fog occasionally and running with the lights on for a few
minutes clears it up.  I had a chance a couple of years ago to have the
cluster apart for a cleanup and re-lamping and everything looked fine,
couldn't see any deterioration or corrosion as a result of it.  Mine only
fog up though, perhaps your seeing more condensation.  One thing your could
do is get some kind of dehumidifier and put it in the car when your not
using it.  I think they sell ones that are just a tub full of moisture
absorbing material that you change periodically, probably from a boating
supply company.  Another thing would be to burn a low wattage bulb inside
the vehicle when not in use, just to heat the air a bit.

Hope that gives you an idea possible causes and cures,

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://photos.yahoo.com/duchesskyra
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!