<VV> Scalzi electric fan report

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sat Nov 11 12:51:46 EST 2006

In a message dated 11/11/2006 7:34:08 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
crawfordrose at msn.com writes:

A year  has gone by since the controversy about the electric fan of the
Scalzis.   Did anyone on this list ever buy one and use it for any length of time
over  the road? What was your experience?
Crawford

Well, there must have been at least two units sold. Some guy named Bob  Heldt
(per Ron),  and also the unit I purchased for evaluation by expert  mechanic
(and fellow VV member), Ken Hand.   Ken has the support of  Frank Parker
(think: Corvair Northstar) in order to properly define a series of  tests and
instrument a test vehicle to record the results.

All was going well until Ken ran into a family problem that deterred his
plans and effort. So, little testing has occurred to date. Hopefully, Ken  will
be able to resurect the plan and restart the activity come this  spring.  If
not, we may have to seek another option. In addition, the  Scalzi's have gone
out of business according to reports, so no more of their  cooling units will be
made by them as far as I know.

But the test results are still needed to show just how adequate electric  fan
cooling is on a Corvair. Good results could lead us into a whole new  era of
cooling, and regaining horsepower consumed by the stock fan. Let's hope  we
get some data this coming summer.

Regards,
Bob Helt