<VV> Re: FC or EARLY rear bearings

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Nov 14 00:20:31 EST 2006

I do agree that taking the bearing off the axle is the best way to clean
and inspect the bearings. In the case of the cast 63/64, it is about the
only way to do it.

But, until I used the new tool made by a club member and sold through
Clarks, I NEVER got an axle bearing off without destroying it. So,
cleaning inspecting and lubeing was only possible while still pressed on
the axle. So that is why I figure most people do not own the bearing
remover, and doing a partial cleaning job and adding grease is better
than just driving until failure. And it can be part of every rear brake
overhaul.

Frank DuVal