<VV> Oil Pan Gaskets

LastHamlet lasthamlet at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 16 23:17:34 EST 2006

> Dear Group,
>
>  Let me begin by saying that many of the gaskets we
> carry  are produced
> (stamped) by two local companies that I have used
> for  many years. I stock two
> gaskets for the oil pans, one of which is a  .065"
> high heat material that works
> well with the stiffer  aftermarket aluminum pans.
> We sell this gasket in the store, online and through
> mail order every  week.
> We also install them here in our service department
> on a regular basis  with
> great results.
>  Last week three of these type gaskets arrived
> unannounced to me  from an
> order back in September. All were returned with one
> crack at the exact same spot
> on each. Each looked clean and new but they  were
> not in the same sturdy
> packaging in which I sent them.
>  I have no way of knowing what happened to the
> gaskets once they left  here
> and I certainly can't afford to replace and reship
> merchandise at my  expense
> without first talking with the customer to determine
> the facts. In  addition, I
> checked our existing stock of the gaskets and the
> fit is correct.
> It is certainly within the realm of possibility that
> a gasket could  be
> stamped incorrectly but it is also possible that
> gaskets can be  damaged during or
> after shipment. As always, with a brief phone  call
> or e-mail a resolution can
> be reached and everybody is happy...even if  that
> means I loose! My
> reputation is worth it.
>
>  Thanks for the bandwidth,
>  Jeff Williams
>
>  California Corvair Parts, Inc.
>  Corona, California
>  USA

Basically you are calling me a liar, on several
issues.
You did write you like getting the facts, so I figured
at the very least, a kind reply was due.

1) The order is from further back than September, more
like May, as I sent a copy of the torn receipt with
the gaskets. (Should have been easy to read, it is in
your writing) My September purchase was for a old
style radiator oil cooler and seals for it.
2) The gaskets did arrive safely to me, and I just got
the time to use them, last month. (I never said they
arrived damaged anyway.
3) Although they did arrive safely, they were at the
bottom of a box that also had an Offy pan in it, with
no additional cardboard around them.
4) I Priority Mailed them more than 3 weeks ago, and
gladly paid the extra postage for doing so. Also,
using the hard Priority box and extra cardboard and
packing. (Actually, better than the way they were
sent.) (Opinions vary, I am sure.)
5) A detailed and very kind letter was enclosed with
the returned package, explaining my situation and the
problem I had.
5) Did you lay them gaskets on a stock or Offy oil pan
and see if they match up??? As they did not line up
with the Offy you sold me, or the Clark's pan I got.
6) Did you happen to look at the back edge(Closest to
back of car when mounted) and noticed the crooked
edge, and the holes off on that row???
7) You mentioned they looked new, as they were never
mounted, so I am wondering what your theory is on how
they all snapped in the same spot?
8) The fellow I gave that Offy pan to is a respected
member of CORSA, and respected by myself as well.
Point is, he saw the gaskets as well. If he remembers
the day I gave it to him, and told him "The pan is
yours, but as you can see this gasket does not line
up, so I better send it back or try it on my pan
first."   I think most of you can guess who that
respected member is, as I do not need to drop names.

So, When you come saying you need to collect facts, be
factual yourself, especially if your words directly
make me a liar. Sure, I am a backwoods type person,
but that don't mean I will take you quoting bad facts
and making me out a complete liar.
I try and be respectful, but am not perfect by no
means.
However, sir, my original thoughts on the subject are
now more solid than ever. You can now consider those a
personal wall hanging for your shop, as with my final
words of this post, I consider this issue resolved.
Don't  attempt to make me out a liar, while making
false statements, remember your reputation is on the
line, as you said.
I may be from backwoods, NC, and a newbie to CORSA,
but that don't mean I lie, or that I am stupid.
Also, Thanks for the Bandwidth,
Danny Barber
67 Vert named Wilma
NC License Plate: "A MEMORY"
Which ironically is now what I consider this whole
issue.