<VV> Clutch slipping

Paul Abel pbob63 at frontiernet.net
Fri Nov 17 14:59:02 EST 2006

I sold my 65 Monza 4 dr and just purchased a nice solid 65 500 coupe 140
/ 4sp, non original engine. The PO removed the secondaries, and covered
the holes. I just replaced the plug wires and installed an igniter 2. It
runs good now, much like my previous 110.  When under load in 3rd or
4th, the clutch is slipping. I notice that the clutch doesn't engage
until the pedal is almost all the way out. I think it should engage
within an inch or so from the floor. The PO says he replaced the clutch
when he swapped the engine and trans 2 or 3 years ago. It was originally
a 95 / 3sp. I'm not sure which parts he replaced. My question is, is
this an adjustment issue? Will following the shop manual with regards to
clutch linkage adjustments fix the problem assuming the clutch disc is
OK? Or, do I need a new clutch. I haven't driven a manual trans in about
10 years, my last was a 90 Grand Prix 3.1 5sp. I seem to recall the
clutch in that engaging much sooner than the Vair's.

Paul Abel
Rochester, NY
65 500 coupe 140/4