FW: <VV> Gas Tank

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sat Nov 18 13:22:54 EST 2006

Guy,
    While it is quite true that many locations  (including northern NJ) now
have 10% ethanol in the gas, I don't believe  that fact eliminates the
necessity of adding isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol)  periodically to the gas tank to
keep water from coming out of solution and  falling to the bottom of the tank
to start forming rust.  First, it's very  expensive in producing ethanol to
remove the water much below the 10%  level.  Anhydrous ethanol, while possible,
is unlikely to be the quality of  the ethanol actually mixed with the gasoline.
 Second, pure alcohol is  quite hygroscopic which means it will readily
absorb water from the air or from  the storage tank or piping through which it
moves.  So I consider the  periodic addition of isopropanol to be like insurance.
If it keeps from  having to replace another fuel tank and contents, it's well
worth the  expense.
    I would also recommend that an infrequently used  Corvair should have its
gas tank kept as full as possible.  That minimizes  the amount of moist air
above the gas level in the tank so there is less  moisture to condense out and
fall into the gas.
    Frank "foresight better than hindsight"  Burkhard

In a message dated 11/17/2006 12:08:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,