<VV>GM - PT Cruiser/HHR - NO CORVAIR

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Sun Nov 19 17:57:18 EST 2006

On Nov 19, 2006, at 5:03 PM, MyGroups wrote:

> The HHR was designed by the very same guy that did the PT Cruiser. GM
> hired him away from D-C...
>
> Wonder if that is all he can design? Reminds me of the "Very Brady
> Movie" spoofing Mr. Brady where all his designs look like his house.
>
> I LIKE the retro look of some of the new models though - the PT 'vert
> and the HHR and the SSR. I DON'T think they look ANYWHERE as good as
> the originals did.
>
> Guess I need to buy something from the 30's and then update the
> mechanicals so I have the retro looks and the model
> driveline/suspension/brakes.

Chris,

First, please use your full name when posting VV, so we know who you
are.

In 1998 Bryan Nesbitt designed the Pronto Cruiser while employed as an
industrial designer for Chrysler Corp. After a warm public reception,
this became the PT Cruiser. My understanding always was that the HHR
was well underway before Nesbitt joined GM and that he did not, in
fact, design it.

 From Wikipedia:

  "Bryan Nesbitt is an automobile designer. Currently working for
General Motors, Nesbitt designed the Chevrolet HHR and has been
criticized for the similarity of that vehicle to his previous Chrysler
PT Cruiser design for Chrysler. Since February 2004, Nesbitt is the
Executive Director at GM Europe's design center. In this capacity, he
heads the GM Europe design organization, responsible for all Opel, Saab
and Vauxhall design activities.
Bryan Nesbitt was born in Phoenix, Arizona on January 24, 1969. He
studied Architecture and Industrial Design at the Georgia Institute of
Technology and holds a Bachelor's Degree with Honors in Transportation
Design from the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California.
After working at DaimlerChrysler, Nesbitt joined General Motors in
April 2001, as chief designer for the Chevrolet brand. In January 2002,
Nesbitt was appointed executive director in design and body-frame
integral architectures for all North American GM brands.
Since joining GM, Nesbitt has supported development of the exteriors of
such new models as the Pontiac Solstice, Pontiac G6 coupe, Cadillac DTS
and BLS, Buick Lucerne, Chevrolet Impala, HHR and Cobalt coupe, Saturn
Aura and Sky, and GM’s range of upcoming crossover SUVs."

 From autos.msn.com:

"Phil Zak, HHR designer, said the "retro-inspired" vehicle is expected
to attract both young and old buyers. Young buyers will buy the HHR
because it's "unique in its appearance" and can be customized, he said.
Older buyers, wanting to relive their youth, will appreciate the
"nostalgia" of the HHR, he added."

"A final note: Many critics point out that Bryan Nesbitt, the designer
of Chrysler's PT Cruiser, was on the HHR project, too, after he left
Chrysler and joined GM in 2001. But officials at GM say the HHR was
under way before Nesbitt joined GM."

I believe that the HHR was underway when Nesbitt came aboard. He may
have had some influence on it but was not it's designer.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
CORSA South Carolina
Greenville, SC