<VV> Engine Howl

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 19 21:47:23 EST 2006

Hi Rudy,

One quick way to narrow down the noise what the fan belt drives is to just
remove the fan belt and run the engine briefly.  The sound your hearing
could be coming from the alternator, idler or fan bearings.  I've had the
early steel fans make noise before due loose blades but I'm assuming your
running the stock mag fan with all the blades intact so  no problem there.
As far as fans go, take a look sometime and notice that the blades on the
fan are not set out symmetrically.  This is done on purpose for the same
reason blades on a water pumper are not symmetrical, to prevent it from
howling!!  Sirens have symmetrical blades for the opposite reason.

Anyway, if the sound goes away with the fanbelt off then put the fan belt
back on and try using a length of pvc pipe placed up to your ear and the
other end close to the different bearing to see if you can narrow it down.
You can alternately use a long screwdriver as a way to transmit the sound.

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://photos.yahoo.com/duchesskyra
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!