<VV> moveable timing solved by tweakers

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Mon Nov 20 12:56:45 EST 2006

"...3  You needed to worry about PING when you had a 36 deg. initial
timing....not now at 14!..."

Well, I wouldn't necessarily go along with that statement. My 67 PG,  factory
air coupe used to ping with initial timing set anywhere past 10-degrees.
This was with premium fuel and the lower shrouds removed. One other bit of
information: the car is driven in Florida. The fix: reduced cylinder head quench
to .032; now able to run 18-degrees initial advance W/O ping, and have also
changed from a 3:55 to a 3:27 axle ratio. I use a Safeguard for, well, safety.
The Safeguard is equipped with a remote knock indicator, and the indicator
hardly ever indicates a lessoning of advance.

Mike Mauro
of several Corvairs and other bad  habits