<VV> HHR's & retro(no Corvair)

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri Nov 24 12:51:28 EST 2006

At 05:30 PM 11/22/2006, MyGroups wrote:

>>I was talking about GM repro'ing the '57 Chevrolet as a part of the
>>retro trend.    Crank handle door windows, no cruise, no traction
>>controls, but fitted with current tech driveline and suspension
>>etc. so as to meet regs.   They could do something about bumpers as
>>well; the trick being making the car look like it did in '57 inside
>>and out, but with modern running gear.   And if they kept it
>>responsibly economical they'd sell all they could build.
>
>Yeah but... even basic work vehicles are well outfitted today with
>creature comforts. Same or better to what we bought in the 80's for
>a fancy family vehicle.

Then again, many people who would go after a car like this would be
reliving the past and likely wouldn't miss a flotilla of
features.   The KISS principle would reign.

>I grew up in cars with no power anything, crank windows and a heater
>(and an AM radio and rubber floormats). Now even "throwaway" cars
>come with carpet, a/c, power accesories, etc. People want to HAVE to
>have a long list of creature comforts (including a DVD player for
>the kids to watch while crossing town <griN!>).

People end up with most of these features because the beancounters
pushed those features down their throats.    Much of the time, such
added features do little other than clutter and complicate the
vehicle.    I don't miss any cruise control, traction control,
anti-lock brakes, etc on my trips back and forth to work in that
'Vair.   But that's me...  others might not feel that way, would
rather ride in a car than drive one.

But others would wanna *drive* their Bel-Air.    Some of them may
desire some frills but I'd wager that a lot of other things found on
modern cars (that seldom ever get used) wouldn't be an issue.

>Any new '57 would have to a boatload of extras to make folks happy...

...make SOME folks happy.   Many would be happy if such a car was
available simply for an affordable price.

>My goal is a/c & heat, basic am/fm/simple mp3 input jack, power
>steering/power brakes, 5 speed manual tranny (or 6 speed even) and no more.

That's easy enough...   many restomodded '57 Chevys are done up just
this way specifically because that's what their owners want, nothing
more.   .

>I have nightmares of owning a car with the touchscreen LCD that
>controls everything and having it croak... How much to fix one of those?

No problem...  just put it on plastic along with the rest of the
USA's estimated 850,000,000,000 bucks worth of consumer credit
debt...  not a dime of which is mine I'm happy to say.     The only
lcd screen in my daily driver is in the camera that's in my pocket
when I'm driving the car.

tony..