<VV> HHR's & retro(no Corvair)

MyGroups mygroups at frontiernet.net
Wed Nov 22 20:30:24 EST 2006

> I was talking about GM repro'ing the '57 Chevrolet as a part of the
> retro trend.    Crank handle door windows, no cruise, no traction
> controls, but fitted with current tech driveline and suspension etc.
> so as to meet regs.   They could do something about bumpers as well;
> the trick being making the car look like it did in '57 inside and out,
> but with modern running gear.   And if they kept it responsibly
> economical they'd sell all they could build.

Yeah but... even basic work vehicles are well outfitted today with
creature comforts. Same or better to what we bought in the 80's for a
fancy family vehicle.

I grew up in cars with no power anything, crank windows and a heater
(and an AM radio and rubber floormats). Now even "throwaway" cars come
with carpet, a/c, power accesories, etc. People want to HAVE to have a
long list of creature comforts (including a DVD player for the kids to
watch while crossing town <griN!>).

Any new '57 would have to a boatload of extras to make folks happy... My
goal is a/c & heat, basic am/fm/simple mp3 input jack, power
steering/power brakes, 5 speed manual tranny (or 6 speed even) and no
more. I have nightmares of owning a car with the touchscreen LCD that
controls everything and having it croak... How much to fix one of those?

Chris in Cookeville