<VV> Starting Problem

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 20 20:21:45 EST 2006

                                   B"H

Hi all...you probably remember that I posted yesterday
that I tuned my '69 Monza, 110 PG, with new Pertronix
and plugs (Bosch).

Anyway, I found a problem.  When the car has been
sitting for a couple of hours, it takes extended
cranking and my foot to the floor to start the engine.

It took me about 10 minutes to start her this evening
when I left work.  She was in the building's garage
and had been sitting for about 5 hours.  WHen she
wouldn't start, I lifted the deck lid and noticed that
the engine felt very slightly warm.  Chokes on both
carbs were wide open.

I kept my foot to the floor and cranked the engine,
which started slowly then quickly built up rpms.  Once
I let her idle for about a minute then she was fine.
I drove home with no problems whatever, she idled nice
and smooth and had smooth peppy acceleration.  In
Drive the idle is a bit low but when I shift to
Neutral she idles pretty fast.  Engagement to Drive is
nice and gentle.

This morning when she was cold, she started but very
slowly; it took a bit of time to reach fast idle.
Before I put my hands on the car, she always started
easily( but idled roughly).

I admit that when I tuned her up yesterday I adjusted
the carbs but not using the 69 Shop Manual.  My bad.
The manual says to lightly seat the idle mixture
screws, then turn out 3 turns, then adjust curb idle,
then turn the mixture screws in till you see "roll
out" or 20-30 rpm decrease, then increase 1/4 turn.

Can anyone help me?  I plan to adjust the carb based
on the manual tonight, but if anyone has any
suggestions I'd be happy to hear.  I gotta fix this
before I wear out the starter and battery!

Thanks! as always to a great group!...Bill H.