<VV> Moveable Timing etc.

TimogensTurbo at aol.com TimogensTurbo at aol.com
Mon Nov 20 21:25:27 EST 2006

You're welcome  and YES, you got it!.....the only "term" that needs
correcting...  360deg. [ one rotation ]  is called 180 deg,. since it's a 4 stroke
engine and requires 2 rev  to complete it's cycle...

So  there's is 720 deg in the engine...cylinders fire 120
apart.......BUT.....the engine [ cylinder ] will only run with approx.
+/_ 50 deg.  ignition timing...[ 100 deg.  of the 180 deg. rotation of that
the cylinder when it is on the Compression / Power stroke...think of a 1/2
circle...it starts steep  but  then almost levels out [ piston travel] before
falling rapidly.

Matt Nall

In a message dated 11/20/2006 4:46:29 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ellispj at cogeco.ca writes:

> Matt,
>
> Thanks for the reply. Good discussion. This is how we all learn something.
>
> I think I get it now. Let me try this again. If we rotate the engine such
> that the timing mark on the harmonic balancer aligns with the '0' degrees
> mark on the timing scale then the only place the #1 piston can be (unless of
> course it is 360 degrees off) is TDC for the compression stroke . Then, the
> only restriction as to what distributor cam lobe you select as #1 is due to
> any physical limitations of rotating the distributor body, regardless of
> what position the distributor gear is in. Correct?
>
> Phil

Matt Nall
69 stocker, 66 vert, 65 v8, 66 turbo, Vairboat, Sandcar, 64 140
ALLVAIR!
Timogen was a softy!