<VV> 65 Stock Steering to 66 Quick Box/Arms

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Nov 21 12:03:29 EST 2006

In a message dated 11/18/2006 6:58:25 AM Pacific Standard Time,
schwas at roadrunner.com writes:

I  purchased a quick steering box and the arms from a '66 model.
I've been  told the flange pattern at the floor is different.  Any advise
on the  installation procedure?  I have the column, box, coupling, etc.
I  assume I cannot use the original '65 column with the '66
shaft assembly  (don't ask why I think so).  Any coaching will
be  appreciated.

Steve
140 VAIR

Steve - First you need to determine whether you have an early or late 65.
The factory changed to the 66 design in about May, 1965. So you might have the
items you need already. First, to assure you, if you got all the 66 stuff from
 the other car, you will be able to install it in the 65. On the 66 style
models,  there is a plate attached to the front side of the firewall - opposite
the side  where the column mounts. It has three captive screws for the column
flange to  bolt against. It is held in place, during installation, by a screw
or two,  attaching it to the firewall. If you didn't remove that plate, go back
and  get it. You should use it for your install. There is a basic difference
in  the attachment of the 65 design and the 66 design. In 1965, the one-piece
column  shaft goes right from the steering box to the steering wheel. The
mounting of  the steering box determiones where the steering wheel ends up. In
this design,  the column floats over the shaft, and is adjusted to mate with the
shaft using slots in the column tabs under the face of the dash, and a
flanged clamp at the firewall. The clamp bolts to the firewall and grasps the
column via a bolted flange. By loosening this clamp and the bolts under the  dash,
you can relocate the column up or down a little to maintain the correct
clearance to the steering wheel, which, when bolted in place is located via the
steering box. In the 66 design, the factory added a coupling - that's the one
on  the end of the steering box you just bought - to attach the column to the
steering box, but allow the upper shaft and column, not fixed together to
float  to the correct position. The 66 design uses a wflange welded to the column
at  the firewall. The clamp is gone. At the top, under the dash, the column is
 restrained by a short U-clamp which retains the column in place. - No tabs
like on the 65. In the 66 design, the steering wheel is fixed to the column
shaft, rather than to the box shaft. Again, if you have the later  design, just
bolt it together. If yours is an early 65, you will have to  change the bolt
pattern at the firewall to match that of the 66 flange, rather  than the 65
clamp. It is pretty easy to do, you can use the 66 column as a  template - after
you have removed all of the 65 stuff. Electrically the columns  are the same,
just plug and play. For the final install, a second set of hands  to hold the
firewall plate (which has the retained bolts) in place will make
installation of the column easier. I prefer to install the column first, then  slide the
coupler up onto it as the steering box goes in. Getting the seal  and the snap
ring back in place is one of those "rites of passage" for  working on
Corvairs. It will be done strictly by feel, unless you head is a lot  smaller than
mine! Be sure, if you do have to re-drill the firewall, to get  it all sealed up
well. It is a passage way for water to enter the passenger  compartment and
soak the rugs, if you drive in heavy rain or through any  standing water. -
Good luck on the install and be sure to budget the time or  money for a toe-in
adjustment after yo installa the new arms. - Seth  Emerson