<VV>Retro -no Vair

Lonny Clark lclarkpdx at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 13:29:34 EST 2006

What Carrol Shelby had laying around were legal VIN numbers (is that
redundant?) and body tags for 50 Cobras that were allocated in 1966, but
were never built. At 500K per copy, you can afford to re-tool a few things.
He will probably get most of it from the reproduction market. He could
probably buy a complete roller from one of the repro companies (around 50K
for a good one), slap his tags on it and still sell it for 500K. It's funny
what numbers do to people.

As far as the law is concerned, they will be original Cobras. As far as the
collector market, who knows how they react. Might be like the "pre-CBS"
Fender Stratocaster versus the "post-CBS", supposedly the same thing but
somehow worth less.

Last summer, I talked to a man at a car show who brought in his original 289
Cobra race car. Not the street version, one of the red-white-blue ones that
raced at Sebring. It was truly a study in minimalism. He still races it, and
doesn't spend a lot of time cleaning the mags. He said that the market was
so foolish that he may have to sell it, the last one like his that sold went
for 1.4 Million. I think he said he paid 30K for it 20 years ago, and
thought he spent too much.