<VV> re:retro T-Bird

Gary Swiatowy mopar at jbcs2.net
Thu Nov 23 08:28:56 EST 2006

> From: "Charles Lee at Proper Pro Per" <chaz at ProperProPer.com>
> Subject: Re: <VV>Retro
>
> The retro T-Bird was disappointing to me.  It looks those old Japanese
> tin-toys that had the driver painted on the outside of the windshield, and
> all of the features rounded off (to make it easy to stamp) and then
> painted
> on.
>
> The T-Bird needs the projectile-type headlamp protrusions, and of course,
> fins !!!!  (Or at least something legally reminiscent of fins ?)
>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> So what is your criticism of the retro T-Bird? Just curious. I find them
>> interesting if originally over priced. Not a sports car in any way
>> though.
>> Just a boulevard cruiser. At least it wasn't another Accord or Malibu or
>> Altima (all good cars but very similar in many ways).
>>
>> Chris
Retro T-Bird
Disappointing..................an understatement. Even the T-Bird faithful
didn't like it. Overpriced, and no power whatsoever. Still unsold new ones
on dealership lots, with deep discounts.
Remember the TV commercial with the guy in a sports car pulling up next to a
T-Bird at a stoplight, wants to race. Sports car guy's girlfriend gets out
of the car, sports car takes off down the road, T-Bird sits there. Girl gets
into bird, bird makes a left............and drives off slowly. That was ford
admitting the car had no guts.
Know some people who bought them to find out later that they could only
insure it as a "seasonal" car and not all year? Insurance companies don't
want to insure one for the winter, at least not up here in the snow belt.

Some people bought them and drove them to Cruise nights, around here they
got criticized, just like the guys in the SSR's, PT's etc that buy a "new"
car and try going to a cruise night. Vipers and Prowlers though for some
reason were exempt.....................
The price was the killer, why buy a poor copy when for the same price you
could buy an original?????
Yes there are some little birds going for big bucks yet, but for the most
part, the average ones are dropping in value as the people who have interest
in them are thinning out.......................not as much demand.

Gary Swiatowy
Corvairs and 64, 66, and 73 T-Birds