<VV> Blown engine

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Thu Nov 23 23:19:56 EST 2006

Smitty says:  A lot of people have asked what happened to the engine in my wagon when it locked up abruptly on the way to Nelson Ledges.  I had informed my club members that I would not look until we could share the experience at some event at my home.  We had a differential "set up" tech session here Saturday and I pulled the block cover off.  As I had sort of guessed a rod bolt broke and the cap came off.  The crank throw came on around and came down onto the piston side of the rod big end, driving it down into the bottom of the block where it broke the cam shaft.  The rod of course has a beautiful curve in it.  The crank suffered a deep gouge on the beautiful low mileage journal.  It appears the sudden stop nearly jerked the cap off of another rod as there is a gap between the cap and rod.  One of the holes in the block could accommodate 5 quarters taped together passing through it.  The skirt of the cyl and piston are bent.
  So other than a piston/cyl, two rods. a cam ,crank, block, and a couple of lifters it is in pretty good shape.  Anybody want to bet that all the pistons and wristpins and rods pass NDI ?
  I learned a long time ago that no matter what I write on here somebody is going to second guess me as though they are the only ones to ever have an intelligent thought.  So I will preempt their comments by saying, yes I know I could have used new or super duty rod bolts.  I could have magnafluxed the rods too.  I could have magnafluxed all ferrous parts in the engine and Dye Penetrent checked the rest.  I could have bought a NOS engine.  If you don't personally do all these things then I don't want you to harass me for not doing them.