<VV> Blown engine

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Fri Nov 24 04:45:33 EST 2006

I won't harasss you, bud.  Sorry the damage was so extensive.

Thanks for sharing. I believe this engine took over for the one that the
crankshaft broke on you on the Great Plains for the worst engine failure
story I've ever heard. Definitely the Corvair engine with the most damage
from a major failure I've heard in 20 years.

I think you've probably given Stephen Upham a great lift. He's the guy in TX
that has had all the engine rebuild problems. I know i'd drive, and race if
I was so inclined, an engine you built without qualms, so if it can happen
to you it can happen to anyone.

And some people might have done everything that Smitty said Could be done to
avoid said failure. But most of us wouldn't have.

When I forgot to put on the bottom shroud and lost a #3 piston, Wyn Rittal
brought me a piston on a rod with a cap and a new barrell, and we just
replaced #3. No thought as to newness of rod bolts, whether or not the rod
was magnafluxed, etc.

Hank