<VV>Retro

Russ Moorhouse corvair65 at verizon.net
Fri Nov 24 14:24:57 EST 2006

Pontiac never intended for the new GTO to be a retro car.  It was their idea
to produce the kind of car the GTO would have been today, had it remained in
production all those years. Considering that the original GTO was a mid-size
car with a big engine in it's day and the way the cars have decreased in
size over they years and the styling changes since it went out of
production, I think Pontiac hit the nail on the head.  It is a modern day
mid-size car with a big engine and it's rear wheel drive, more than you can
say about the new V8 Monte Carlo and Impala.  Why are people snapping them
up when they are far from being retro.  The Impala's sure don't look
anything like my old 58 Impala did.

Unfortunately, for Pontiac the fickled buying public wanted something retro
instead of what the GTO would be like today.  Due to poor sales, the GTO
turned out to be one of the best high performance car bargains you could
buy.

I've often wondered why Chevy doesn't offer the Corvette as a retro version
of a '57 or '58 Corvette, in addition to the existing Corvette.  Being a
fiberglass body, it doesn't seem that it would be that difficult make a
retro body and fit it on the same chassis and give the buyers a choice of
the style they want.  It would be a great anniversary promotion.

Russ