<VV>Retro

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri Nov 24 19:29:43 EST 2006

At 11:24 AM 11/24/2006, Russ Moorhouse wrote:
>Pontiac never intended for the new GTO to be a retro car.  It was
>their idea to produce the kind of car the GTO would have been today,
>had it remained in production all those years. Considering that the
>original GTO was a mid-size car with a big engine in it's day and
>the way the cars have decreased in size over they years and the
>styling changes since it went out of production, I think Pontiac hit
>the nail on the head.

But Pontiac DIDN'T hit the nail.    GM was in a rush to get something
out there to grab a piece of the performance car market.    They had
NOTHING with a RWD platform available, having already dumped their
LAST substantial RWD platform in the F-Body.

There wasn't anything else in the GM stable (outside the Holden in
Australia, which had NOT abandoned RWD) that fit the bill.    Thus,
the "borrowed" Holden Monaro rebadged as a GTO.

>  It is a modern day mid-size car with a big engine and it's rear
> wheel drive,

...something Chevrolet didn't have then and still doesn't have now.

>more than you can say about the new V8 Monte Carlo and Impala.

Best they could do was cram a V8 into a FWD platform...  in the
meantime we now have GM engineer sorts working on getting a RWD car
back on showroom floors again.    Hopefully it's not too little too late.

>Why are people snapping them up when they are far from being
>retro.  The Impala's sure don't look anything like my old 58 Impala did.

Chevy fans have been treated to cars with so little left of what THEY
wanted in a car, that the new V8 option, FWD or otherwise, is at
least a step up from the previous offerings with the biggest engine
available in your new Impala being a 6-banger.

Sure as Hell isn't your father's Impala...

>Unfortunately, for Pontiac the fickled buying public wanted
>something retro instead of what the GTO would be like today.

It wasn't a Pontiac.  People in the know who wanted to get themselves
a performance car with an identifiable badge (GTO) made it a point to
know something about what they were buying.

GM had spent far too  much time building beancounter cookiecutter
cars with marketability based on the "color code" concept...

"What sort of car are you looking for today?"

"A red one."

Performance car customers today are a little smarter than that.    A
new GTO pops up in the picture...  car guy realizes that GM had
abandoned RWD tech along with almost everything with only two doors
outside trucks and Corvettes, but here's this new RWD 2-door
"Pontiac" that doesn't look like anything GM ever made and in fact
resembles the styling you'd expect to see in an Asian coupe.

Ya think they were just gonna go buy one on a whim because it had GTO
badges on it?   And when they found out how much the damned thing
cost, a lot of people backed off quick.    Thus, the new "GTO" was
hardly the blistering seller that the '64 GTO turned out to be.

Now it's slated to be dumped from the lineup.   Nobody seems to have
much interest in them... in SPITE of the car having some damned
serious performance.    Improper marketing combined with a very high
price... which kinda flew in the face of the original Pontiac GTO
concept which was to produce an uncomplicated performance car that
looked distinctive and was affordable.

I don't know very many people at all who liked the appearance of the
Monaro GTO.   I also know almost nobody who ever bought
one.   They're seldom seen on the streets...  maybe see one once a
week or so, to and from.

Meanwhile, I'm tripping over new Mustangs.

>Due to poor sales, the GTO turned out to be one of the best high
>performance car bargains you could buy.
>
>I've often wondered why Chevy doesn't offer the Corvette as a retro
>version of a '57 or '58 Corvette,

Because they're selling all they can build as-is.   Why offer a
stripper that takes just as long to build and garners you less profit
per car?    Hell, it's highly likely that a LOT of people would want
a stripper 'Vette, but I'll bet that in the end it would likely cost
almost the same as the loaded variants... after you waited weeks and
weeks for it to show up.

>in addition to the existing Corvette.  Being a fiberglass body, it
>doesn't seem that it would be that difficult make a retro body and
>fit it on the same chassis and give the buyers a choice of the style
>they want.  It would be a great anniversary promotion.

They're not gonna do it for the same reason you'll never see that
retro Bel-Air showing up on dealer floors.   GM isn't gonna waste
their money on anything that's not gonna bring in max profits with
minimum expense...  they *Can't*, until they do something about the
unions that are bleeding them dry.

I liked the Oldsmobile marque...  had hopes for a new 442 to come
along maybe...  not to be.

And the sad part was that in order to get rid of the ones on dealer
lots, GM was running Olds commercials touting the Olds name with
reverence and spouting off about how they were building new
Oldsmobiles around the clock to make sure that you could get
one.   This, after the marque had already been cancelled.

Bullshit...

General Motors just hasn't been doing its job as of late.    I can't
honestly say that they make ANYTHING that I'd want to buy, if I hit
lotto and could afford to buy *anything* available.

Frankly, if I wanted a useful performance car I'd find myself
checking out the Ford dealership and end up looking at Mustangs.   Of
course, if I wanted a real musclecar I'd be hitting up the specialty
arenas and scouting around for a '68 Charger R/T or a '68 Hemi
Roadrunner...  seeing as how lotto had made money no object...   and
then I'd start in on restoring the '66 Satellite I've been collecting
parts and pieces for all year.    Hell, I'd even be scouting around
for a body for that 'Vair based kitcar chassis around back.

Of course, I'd have a sizeable piece of property outside town, not
too far, already seen a place that would work out nicely...  and
stock it with state of the art facilities for doing whatever I wanted
to do to a car, and also have it stocked with about a dozen or so
Corvairs, various models...   including the ones already here that
deserve better than what they're currently getting for lack of time
and money.     I wonder if the Mustang GT would look too much out of
place among all the '60s vintage cars...

All I need is to win lotto and I'd be on my way.

tony..